The Best Washing Machine Brands and Models on the Market
What Features Are You Looking For?
In most households, the washing machine is one of the most heavily used appliances, ranking right up there with dishwashers, furnaces and air conditioners. Choosing the best washing machine isn’t an easy task, as you’ll need to carefully research brands and models to find the one that offers the best combination of advanced features for the lowest possible price. However, it’s important to remember that the up-front price tag isn’t the only consideration when it comes to washing machine brands. You should also look carefully at energy efficiency and wash cycle controls to keep electricity costs down and extend the life of your clothing.
A Comparison of Major Washing Machine Brands
Some of the most popular manufacturers of washing machines include:
- General Electric. With a history going back well over 100 years, GE washing machines have been around a long time, and they’ve earned a solid reputation with customers over the decades. They are lauded for their large capacities, which are among the most generous in the industry, and higher-end models boast multiple cycles and precision control features. However, most GE washing machines don’t have soak cycles, and they tend to be very expensive. Because of their large sizes, they are also not the best choice for condo or apartment living.
- Kenmore. Kenmore washing machines are consistently near or at the top of the list when it comes to top sellers and consumer satisfaction surveys. They are very good at saving energy, and customers also give them high points for style while making very few complaints about their drawbacks. Kenmore is a highly recommended brand.
- Indesit. Indesit washing machines score high points for the efficiency of their spin cycles and the variety of cycle options that are available. They are very quiet and good at saving energy, and their relatively compact design makes them a good option for tighter living quarters. However, some consumers have durability and reliability complaints.
- LG. One of the nicest things about LG washing machines is the sheer range of options available. They offer a full selection of compact, mid-size and full-size washing machines, with everything from no-frills models to advanced machines with professional-level settings. For versatility and energy efficiency, LG washing machines get strong ratings. However, when it comes to LG washing machines, the company functions like a “jack of all trades but a master of none;” their products are so varied and available across such a diverse range of price points that competitors that take a more specialized approach tend to offer better products at comparable prices.
Recommended Washing Machine Brands
- Best economy washing machine: Kenmore 4031 frontload washer
- Best premium washing machine: Kenmore 4051 elite washer