Just Like New: What Products to Clean Your Upholstery With
The best upholstery cleaners for your furniture
Over the years, regular use will inevitably take its toll on your furniture unless you're conscientious and upkeep and care. Upholstery cleaners are for more than just accidents and spills; they're also an important maintenance tool. Using an upholstery shampoo regularly can prevent trace amounts of dirt and dust from penetrating deep into the fabric, but manufacturers also offer upholstery cleaning products that are designed for specific uses, such as pet accidents or deep stain removal. The best upholstery cleaners for your purposes will depend on what you're looking for the product to do.
A Comparison of the Best Upholstery Cleaners
Upholstery cleaning products are classified according to how they work:
- Upholstery shampoos. Bissell upholstery cleaners include a gentle yet effective upholstery foam shampoo that deep-cleans without toxic chemicals and dries quickly. Shampoos can be used for regular upholstery care, and to remove stains that have already set in.
- Protective treatments for upholstery. Sprays like ScotchGard Fabric Protector work not only on upholstery, but also suede and leather; you'll get your money's worth out of purchasing some if you have other sensitive fabrics to safeguard. The Pledge Fabric Sweeper is also a convenient addition to your regular living room cleaning routine; it traps dirt, dust and effectively removes pet hair.
- Upholstery spill cleaners. You can also get products specifically formulated for immediate use after a spill, such as Woolite Upholstery Cleaner, which will prevent the stain from setting in, instantly eliminating it. If you've got pets, a product like Urine-Gone or Urine-Off can really save the day if your dog or cat has an accident involving your furniture or carpets.
If stains just won't come out no matter what you try, you can also take advantage of professional upholstery cleaning services. These businesses use highly specialized solutions and advanced equipment to loosen stains and refurbish soiled, worn or damaged fabric. If you're especially attached to a particular couch that has seen better days, having it professionally repaired is an affordable option.
Recommended Upholstery Cleaning Products
- Best upholstery shampoo: Bissell Upholstery Shampoo
- Best protective upholstery treatment: ScotchGard Fabric Protector
- Best upholstery spill and accident neutralizer: Woolite Upholstery Cleaner